As a #socialrecruiter I use every outlet possible to click, connect, like, chat, endorse, engage, interact, share and “pay it forward” via #socialmedia. When you give enough, people give back, and on goes the #social circle. I’m not here to debate how #socialmedia can benefit your professional relationships, potential clients, etc. but rather how to saddle up and start doing #social the right way. Because if you want that super #social persona you need to BE social- right?! Let’s talk LinkedIn. As a #socialrectruiter I have an open door policy. Call me, beep me if you want to reach me. So shocked I was not, when I received this message in my inbox from Thelma:
“I went ahead and endorsed some of your skills. I was wondering if you could endorse some of my IT skills also. I would really appreciate it” *
I promptly clicked on Thelma’s page and endorsed her for 7 skills (totally crushing her 3 endorsements she gave me) and after the deed was done, I started thinking…
I have no idea who this person is. Am I connected with her? Oh, yup. I do like her initiative. She could have introduced herself before asking something of me though… but she did have the common sense to endorse me before asking for endorsements. IS THAT A SPIDER?
Kidding. But then BOOM, it hit me. Who the hell cares, it worked! Not only did it take me less than 30 seconds to adhere to her request (#socially speaking) but it felt good to help her out! Weird how that works. We can debate all day long on the effectiveness or correct social etiquette for her message structure delivery, but the bottom line is she gave, asked and received. What is the worst that can happen? They’ll ignore you? Oh, well- on to the next one as my dream best friend Jay-Z would say. So if you get anything out of this blog post, please get this: it is SUPER EASY to saddle up and start getting social, and here are two ways to start doing it: ONE: 12 Ways to Keep in Touch
- Each day, LinkedIn compiles 12 ways to stay connected with people (top right corner of your LinkedIn page.).
- Whether it be congratulating a work anniversary or landing a new job all you have to do is click “LIKE” 12 times as fast as your mouse allows, to reach and connect with 12 people.
- Your LinkedIn profile page gets more visibility from connections and non-connections, the more you start engaging (liking activities).- it’s true! The more exposure you give, the more you get!
- Connections are much more likely to remember you, endorse you, appreciate you and recommend you if you make the first #social move.
- LinkedIn makes it super easy to endorse people by using Endorse Skills- whenever you see a chance to endorse someone do it!
- Same benefits from above!
- Endorse, Endorse, Endorse.
- You don’t need to ask for endorsements- if you give an endorsement it is most likely that connection will return the favor.
Stay #social my friends. *The direct message was real, the name was not. R-e-s-p-e-c-t your #socialsubjects y’all. Twitter: @asalesgirlnicole