Have you been thinking it’s time to look for a new job? First ask yourself if you have the time and energy to look for a new job? The job market is hot right now and there are lots of companies looking for new employees, so why not send your resume to a few companies? Think before you do it though. If you don’t have the time and energy to do some planning and researching, then wait until you do for a more successful search. Job searching is a time intensive process and it is important that you allow enough time to give it your all. You may be one of those lucky people who sees a job, applies for it online, then gets the job you applied for, but chances are it won’t be that easy. Your job search will require a bit of planning, commitment and preparation. Don’t just send a generic resume to every job you see posted. You will be much happier and get better results if you take some time and make a plan before you just start sending out random resumes. Here are some easy tips to help you get you started on your job search:
- Define the job you are searching for and start researching companies that have openings that match up to your requirements. Your research should include the company website, LinkedIn Page and any news on the company.
- Review the relevant job boards for openings that match your job requirements and sign up for daily email blasts with those job boards.
- Update your resume including the skills and qualifications that make you a great fit for the job and make sure to include your LinkedIn profile on your resume.
- Make sure there are no typos or grammatical errors on your resume.
- Customize your resume for each job you apply for with the homework you’ve done. Make sure to capture the buzz words and highlights of what the company is looking for.
- Create a cover letter or email with specific examples of how your qualifications meet the job requirements and include with your resume.
- Update your LinkedIn profile, make sure it matches your resume and that you have a professional photo on your profile.
- Before you submit your resume to a company, network to see if you know anyone at the company or have any connections on LinkedIn; see if they can assist you in meeting the right people at the company.
- Be proactive after you apply and don’t just wait for someone to call you. Follow up if you don’t hear from someone within 4 or 5 days of applying, so you don’t get stuck in the ATS “black hole”.
- When you get the call for an interview, be prepared and ready for the interview.
Check out our Hot Jobs to see if we have a job for you! Happy Hunting.